Peter Rogers's Blog
Artist-in-Residence at Chez Firth
Wednesday (8/17/11) 4:46pm - ... wherein Peter responds to "age <x>" memes.
Here are a couple of 'personal history' memes that were sent to me.
This first one is from Halyn, who gave me age 22.
I'm going to cheat a bit and put myself a few weeks shy of my 22nd birthday, because I remember what was going on then.
- It was 1997, and I was just finishing up at Rice University.
- I wanted to be: I had lined up a job programming museum exhibits up in Boston.
- I wasn't 100% sure it's what I wanted, but I didn't have any better ideas.
- (My life has never really been that career-focussed.)
- What I thought was cool:
- mp3 players with 16MB of storage space
- any form of computer programming that didn't involve actual computers
- homemade hummus
- (which I practically lived on at that point)
- The Winter's Tale
- finally being done with higher education
- the exciting prospect of having money for the first time in my life
- leaving Houston
- elaborate doodles in the margins of my class notes
- My best friend: I didn't really have *any* close friends at this point in my life, though I suppose Katherine was keeping me sane (if we can count family).
- My favorite band: The Connells ranked up there pretty high.
- One thing I wanted, but couldn't have: a better standard of living.
- Rat-infested apartment + sketchy neighborhood + Houston bus system = no bueno.
Like this, and I'll give you an age!
This next one, I got from Katherine, who suggested the year 2001. There are actually two ways to interpret this meme, which asks about your favorite/least favorite things from 2001.
First, let's take this as "what I liked/didn't like back in 2001, when I was 25/26 years of age"
- Favorite Movie: Lone Star
- Favorite Band: XTC
- Disliked: Blink-182
Second, we can interpret it as "my favorite/least favorite stuff that debuted in 2001, with the benefit of hindsight."
- Favorite Movie: The Royal Tenenbaums (honorable mention: The Fellowship of the Ring)
- Favorite band: The New Pornographers (honorable mention: The Avalanches)
- Disliked: Blink-182
"Like" my status and I'll send you a year!
worried · Music: